In 2012 Popular Spinning Mills has been converted in Popular Spinning Mills (Printing & Packaging Unit).
The core function is manufacturing of aseptic packaging material for liquid food particularly for fruit juices. This Unit has been
installed one of the latest machinery producing aseptic packaging for liquids such as juices and beverages. Beside with M/s Tetra Pack Pakistan, Popular is the second producer of aseptic packaging in Pakistan and holds almost potential segment of production in this industry.
The term “ASEPTIC” is derived from the Greek word “septicos” which means the absence of putrefactive micro-organisms. Milk and dairy products, puddings,
desserts, fruit and vegetable juices, soups, sauces, and
products with particulates.
Aseptic packaging technology is fundamentally different from that of conventional food processing by canning. In canning, the process begins with treating the food prior to filling. Initial operations inactivate enzymes so that these will not degrade the product during processing.
The package is cleaned, and the product is introduced into the package, usually hot.
Aseptic packaging processes for the production of shelf-stable food products.
Advantages of Aseptic Packaging Technology:
The three main advantages of using aseptic packaging technology are:
• Packaging materials, which are unsuitable for in-package sterilisation can be used. Therefore, light weight materials consuming less space offering convenient features and with low cost such as paper and flexible and semi-rigid plastic materials can be used gainfully.
• Sterilisation process of high-temperature-short time (HTST) for aseptic packaging is thermally efficient and generally gives rise to products of high quality and nutritive value compared to those processed at lower temperatures for longer time.
• Extension of shelf-life of products at normal temperatures by packing them aseptically.
Additional advantages are that the HTST process utilises:
less energy, as part of the process-heat is recovered through the heat exchangers and the aseptic
process is a modern continuous flow process needing fewer operators.
Aseptic Packaging Materials:
Packaging materials must meet following factors:
• The packaging material must be compatible with the product intended to be packed and must comply with applicable material migration requirements.
• Physical integrity of the package is necessary to assume containment of the product and maintenance of sterility.
• The package material must be able to withstand sterilization and be compatible with the methods of sterilization.
• The package must protect the product from oxygen, also package must retain the aroma of the product.
Special Need of Plastics in Aseptic Packaging:
Packaging for Aseptics was particularly demanding of the long shelf-life, high seal integrity and consumer appeal. However, because plastic material is so important to aseptic packaging, it is useful to discuss some special properties demanded of plastics by aseptic process itself.
They are as follows:
• Chemical resistance and wettability
• Thermal stability
• Low levels of contaminating microorganisms; and
• Resistance to ionizing radiations
Package Structure and Composition Aseptic package has not only to protect the product but also to maintain the quality of the product.
Hence the structure as well as composition of aseptic packaging are more complex
and vary depending on product application, package size and package type.
Factors such as seal strength and integrity, package shape, stiffness and durability, as well as barrier properties determine the choice and/or combination of materials required. Generally to achieve all required properties, aseptic packages incorporate more than one material in the structure that is assembled by lamination or co-extrusion process.